Judging is based on the following criteria;
SECTION I: Value of the project (50)
- Originality of the project. The learner is able to think and act independently. Refers to reading, originality of approach, use of resources, depths of planning and execution of investigation.
- Value: Refer to thoroughness and depth in application of the scientific method/technological process.
Scientific Investigation: Command of the scientific method, scope/range of investigation, results, analysis and conclusion. Check for sample size, validity and reliability of results.OR Engineering Procedure: look for 2 or more prototypes
SECTION 2: Written communication of project (30)
- Written communication includes poster, report and journal.
SECTION 3: Oral communication (20)
The interview with the judge is aimed at establishing the learner’s understanding of the topic, originality and thoroughness of their method or procedure. It is also to make sure that the learner(s) did the project and to what extent they made use of help offered by mentors (teachers, parents, scientists etc.).
Most of what the learner has done should be on display and be discussed during the interview.
A standard set of judge’s criteria is used at Regional Expos and the ISF. Please make sure to study the judge’s criteria before participating at Expo.
PLEASE NOTE THAT AT THE ESKOM EXPO FOR YOUNG SCIENTISTS REGIONAL
Please take note of the following points:
- Introduce yourself by name
- Know your topic
- Be enthusiastic
- Speak clearly with confidence and use appropriate language
- Listen to the judges’ questions
- Don't read off notes or recite a prepared speech, answer the questions
- Make sure your answers are to the point
- Be aware of time constraints
- Switch off your cell phone and don’t eat or chew gum during the interview.
Parents and Teachers
Expo for Young Scientists provides a forum for learners to display their scientific knowledge and skills. Parents and teachers can act as mentors to the students, but must not display their own scientific knowledge and skills. Judges will disqualify any project that was not done entirely by the learner(s).
More information on judging is available on the Eskom Expo website and on the Judging DVD (participating schools can request for a copy of the DVD from the Regional Science Fair Director).
DO NOT USE BRANDED PRODUCTS IN YOUR EXPERIMENT