Eskom Expo for Young Scientists hosted a number of regional science fairs around South Africa to showcase the scientific brilliance of the province’s promising young scientists. The regional expos were the first physical science fairs since 2019, where learners had a chance to show and discuss their own scientific investigations in different fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) with judges, teachers and students from other schools, parents and with other interested people.
This year, Eskom Expo had a phenomenal increase in the number of projects from 1,329 in 2021 to 4,432 this year.
Below are some statistics:
- 35 regional expos were held in all nine provinces
- 4,432 projects were showcased by 5 611 learners
- 3,465 girls took part in the regional expos
- 2,146 boys took part in the regional expos
- 711 schools took part in the regional expos
- 502 gold medals were awarded
- 875 silver medals were awarded
- 1,203 bronze medals were awarded
The top young scientists from each region will advance to the Eskom Expo International Science Fair (ISF), which will be held at the Birchwood Hotel and Conference Centre in Boksburg from 7 to 9 December 2022, and will be live streamed. At this prestigious event, learners stand a chance to win prizes and bursaries, along with scholarships and various opportunities. Learners also stand a chance to be selected to showcase their research or innovation in an international science fair in the United States of America, Asia, Europe and the rest of Africa.