UPDATED ON 5 FEBRUARY 2022: Eskom Expo for Young Scientists is launching a video competition to help prepare learners for possible science expos in 2022, where they’ll be required to present their projects to judges, in person, depending on lockdown levels and the possibility of face-to-face expos.
Importance of verbal communication
At Eskom Expo, learners get opportunities to communicate their findings to their peers, judges, and the wider community. While it is important to explain your research to judges, making your research available to the wider community in a clear, simple, and understandable way is equally important. Your research could stimulate research ideas for your peers or catch the eye of a potential sponsor.
Videos are opportunities to display your creativeness and versatility as well as show how your model works from different angles, zooming in, with a commentary, etc. A fun, eye-catching, and entertaining video will not only get the attention of the viewer but you will probably stand a better chance of getting your findings across.
The video competition is an opportunity for learners who participated in an Eskom Expo provincial fair in 2021 to present their Eskom Expo projects in video format in a fun, exciting way, to clearly communicate their research.
Learners must record a video that is 3 to 5 minutes long, and enter either by uploading to YouTube and emailing the link to firstname.lastname@example.org or sending the video via WhatsApp to: +27 67 638 3496
- Entries open: 6 December 2021
- Closing date: ̶6̶ ̶F̶e̶b̶r̶u̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶2̶ 6 March 2022
Aim of the competition
The competition is another opportunity to stand a chance to with a prize following the 2021 provincial expos and Eskom Expo ISF, and to help sharpen the presentation skills of learners and prepare them to participate in future Eskom Expo science fairs, especially if it is physical.
In the video, entrants have to answer the following questions/provide information on:
- What encouraged them to enter Eskom Expo;
- How did they come up with the research project/ engineering project;
- Give a brief overview of their 2021 Eskom Expo research project;
- Will you be improving on the project next year? If yes, what do you intend doing to take this research to another level? If no, what new research topic are you interested in?
- A laptop, tablet computer and 3 Bluetooth headsets are up for grabs!
- The video must be based on your 2021 Eskom Expo project
- Entrants must be in Grade 4 to 12; including learners who were in Grade 12 in 2021
- Entrants must reside and school in South Africa;
- The video must be at least 3 to 5 minutes long;
- Your face and voice must be clear and easy to understand;
- The video must be concise, entertaining and scientific in nature;
- Ensure you answer/address the required questions above*
- Entrants may use video editing tools to make videos more appealing.
- Ensure that your video is of good visual and audio quality.
- Enter the competition by:
- recording a video
- uploading the video onto YouTube and emailing the link to email@example.com
- Sending the video via WhatsApp to +27 67 638 3496
- Very important: in your email/WhatsApp, include your name and surname, school, grade and province.
- Entries open: 6 December 2021.
- Closing date: ̶6̶ ̶F̶e̶b̶r̶u̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶2̶ 6 March 2022
- Judging will take place from ̶7̶ ̶F̶e̶b̶r̶u̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶2̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶1̶8̶ ̶F̶e̶b̶r̶u̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶2̶ 7 March to 18 March 2022
Videos will be judged on:
- Production value (set-up of project, visuals, etc.) [3 marks]
- Content 2.1 Value of research 2.2 Correct method, models, techniques used 2.3 Accuracy of claims 2.4 Research clearly explained [4 marks]
- Overall presentation [3 marks]
Terms and conditions
- After submitting a video, entrants will be provided with an entry form to complete and sign, and return to Eskom Expo after agreeing to terms and conditions.
Your entry into the competition and/or your acceptance of a prize (in the event that you win a prize) constitutes your binding acceptance of the terms and conditions.
- The competition kicks off on 6 December 2021.
- Closing date for entry will be 6̶ ̶F̶e̶b̶r̶u̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶2̶ 6 March 2022
- After this date, no further entries to the competition will be accepted.
- Entrants are encouraged to enter a video where they state what encouraged them to enter Eskom Expo, provide a brief overview of their project; explain the process of how they came up with their research project and what motivated the project
- Entrants can enter by either uploading the video to YouTube and emailing the link to firstname.lastname@example.org or sending videos via WhatsApp to +27 67 638 3496
- There is no entry fee and no purchases are necessary to enter this competition.
- Eskom Expo for Young Scientists reserves the right to amend the entry terms, competition dates or any other detail at any time and may at any time withdraw the competition with no obligation to continue with the competition.
- The main prize is a laptop, with other prizes to be won.
- We do not make any representations or give any warranties, whether expressly or implicitly, as to a prize, and in particular, but without limitation, make no representations.
- We give no warranty that:
- your entry or participation in the competition will necessarily result in you winning a prize;
- a prize, or any aspect thereof, will meet your requirements, preferences, standards or expectations; or
- a prize, or any aspect thereof, will be satisfactory, punctual, free from defects, safe or reliable.
- Prizes are not transferable and may not be deferred, changed or exchanged for cash or any other item.
- Eskom/Eskom Expo employees, agents and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter.
- The competition is open to South African residents only.
- Proof of identification will be required before the prize can be awarded.
- The selection of the winner is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The organisers retain the right not to award a prize.
- All rules need to be followed in order to be eligible for entry into the competition. The winners will be selected by Eskom Expo, incorporating the judging criteria.
- All the winners will be announced on the Eskom Expo for Young Scientists Eskom social media platforms on ̶2̶5̶ ̶F̶e̶b̶r̶u̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶2̶ 25 March 2022.
- The winners will be notified by means of the contact details provided to Eskom Expo. If we are, or a third party supplier is, unable to contact a winner within 30 days (from date of announcement of the winner) or if the winner is unable to collect the prize within 60 days (from date of announcement of winner), the winner will forfeit the prize and Eskom Expo reserves the right to select a new winner under the same conditions.
- Winners will be contacted directly via the email address or WhatsApp number the video was entered from.
- In the event that you win a prize, you agree to the publication of your name and to appear in person in the electronic media and the print media, and you agree, within reason, to endorse, promote or advertise Eskom Expo, for which no fee will be payable.
- We reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- We may require you to provide us with such additional information as we may reasonably require processing and facilitating your acceptance and/or use of a prize.
- Eskom Expo reserve the right to vary, postpone, suspend, or cancel the competition and any prize(s), or any aspect thereof, without notice at any time, for any reason which we deem necessary. In the event of such variation, postponement, suspension or cancellation, you agree to waive any rights, interests and expectations that you may have in terms of this competition and acknowledge that you will have no recourse against Eskom Expo.
- Eskom Expo reserves the right to reshare and use all competition content submitted by participants via email and WhatsApp for future marketing purposes.
- You acknowledge that the acceptance and use of a prize is subject to the condition that –
- all of the terms and conditions will apply to you;
- you will take full responsibility for your prize;
- you indemnify and hold Eskom Expo and its affiliates harmless against any claim by you or any third party in the event that you suffer any loss or damage pursuant to your acceptance and/or use of a prize.
- These terms and conditions will be construed, interpreted and enforced in accordance with the laws of contract and dispute resolution in the Republic of South Africa
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.