The 2020 #EskomExpoTurns40 video competition has been extended.
Eskom Expo for Young Scientists celebrates its 40th anniversary in 2020. With this in mind, we launched a video competition encouraging Eskom Expo participants to post videos encouraging learners to take part in Eskom Expo by sharing inspirational videos.
The aim is for learners to see what elements inspired other learners, and to seek similar inspiration to embark on their own research projects. The video should thus encompass these qualities, of how a young scientist consciously sought to find solutions and ideas to address matters in their surroundings/communities.
Scientists have an instinctive drive to improve their surroundings, and tend to be inspired by problems and issues around them. Young scientists, however, are often inspired by others around them like their peers.
The competition involves learners posting a home video on YouTube that is 2 to 5 minutes in length. The competition closes at 5pm on 31 May 2020.
In the home video, entrants should provide:
- What encouraged them to enter Eskom Expo;
- A brief overview of a research project they’ve conducted;
- Explain the process of how they came up with their research project;
- Explain what inspired the project.
Learners can enter the competition by posting a link to the video on social media using the hashtag: #EskomExpoTurns40 and tagging Eskom Expo (@ExpoScience) in all posts. Eskom Expo will acknowledge entries on all social media platforms.
- Entrants must be in Grade 4 to 12 and reside in South Africa;
- The video must be between 2 to 5 minutes long;
- Your face must be clearly visible and voice must be clear and easy to understand;
- The video must be concise, entertaining and scientific in nature;
- Video titles must include the hashtag #EskomExpoTurns40
Videos will be judged on:
- Production value (set-up of project)
- Level of encouragement
- Marketing of the video (social media drive)
Terms and conditions
- Your entry into the competition and/or your acceptance of a prize (in the event that you win a prize) constitutes your binding acceptance of the terms and conditions.
- The competition kicks off on Monday, 6 April 2020.
- The new closing date for entry will be Sunday, 31 May 2020. After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- Entrants are encouraged to post a home video whereby they state what encouraged them to enter Eskom Expo, provide a brief overview of their project; explain the process of how they came up with their research project and what motivated the project. The aim is to inspire other learners to take part.
- Entrants can enter by uploading a video on YouTube and posting the link on their social media platforms, using the hashtag #EskomExpoTurns40 and tagging Eskom Expo (@ExpoScience).
The competition is essentially YouTube-based, with promotion on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- There is no entry fee and no purchases are necessary to enter this competition.
- The Eskom Expo for Young Scientists reserves the right to amend the entry terms, competition dates or any other detail at any time and may at any time withdraw the competition with no obligation to continue with the competition.
- The prizes are laptops (given to two individual winners).
- We give no warranty that:
- your entry or participation in the competition will necessarily result in you winning a prize;
- a prize, or any aspect thereof, will meet your requirements, preferences, standards or expectations; or
- a prize, or any aspect thereof, will be satisfactory, punctual, free from defects, safe or reliable.
- Prizes are not transferable and may not be deferred, changed or exchanged for cash or any other item.
- Eskom employees, agents and their immediate family members are not eligible to enter.
- The competition is open to South African residents residing in South Africa only.
- Proof of identification will be required before the prize can be awarded.
- The selection of the winner is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The organisers retain the right not to award a prize.
- All rules need to be followed in order to be eligible for entry into the competition. The winners will be selected by Eskom Expo, incorporating the judging criteria.
- The winners will be announced on the Eskom Expo for Young Scientists Eskom social media platforms after judging concludes on Wednesday, 17 June 2020.
- The winners will be notified by means of the contact details provided to us. If we are, or a third party supplier is, unable to contact a winner within 30 days (from date of announcement of the winner) or if the winner is unable to collect the prize within 60 days (from date of announcement of winner), the winner will forfeit the prize and Eskom Expo reserves the right to select a new winner under the same conditions.
- Winners will be contacted directly through Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
- In the event that you win a prize, you agree to the publication of your name and to appear in person in the electronic media and the print media, and you agree, within reason, to endorse, promote or advertise our goods or services, for which no fee will be payable.
- Only personal profiles and public personality pages will be eligible for entry. We reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- We may require you to provide us with such additional information as we may reasonably require processing and facilitating your acceptance and/or use of a prize.
- Eskom Expo reserve the right to vary, postpone, suspend, or cancel the competition and any prize(s), or any aspect thereof, without notice at any time, for any reason which we deem necessary. In the event of such variation, postponement, suspension or cancellation, you agree to waive any rights, interests and expectations that you may have in terms of this competition and acknowledge that you will have no recourse against us.
- Eskom Expo reserves the right to reshare and use all competition content submitted by participants via its website, social media and for future marketing purposes.
- You acknowledge that the acceptance and use of a prize is subject to the condition that –
- all of the terms and conditions will apply to you;
- you will take full responsibility for your prize
- you indemnify and hold us and our affiliates harmless against any claim by you or any third party in the event that you suffer any loss or damage pursuant to your acceptance and/or use of a prize
- These terms and conditions will be construed, interpreted and enforced in accordance with the laws of contract and dispute resolution in the Republic of South Africa
- By entering this competition, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.